Tuesday, August 09, 2011

I Love Paul Krugman

If you're at all interested in the current economic mess and don't already read Paul Krugman's column & blog in the New York Times, I highly recommend it.

Even if you don't agree with the Nobel Prize-winning Princeton economics professor, he is a wonderfully entertaining writer and pops out gems like this one on a daily basis:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/09/the-pawlenty-mystery/

"I mean, as far as I can tell he’s Sarah Palin in a suit."

Priceless. Krugman alone is worth the price of my online subscription to The New York Times.

Interestingly, I've seen Krugman on TV several times, and his public persona is nothing like his literary one. On TV he is extremely shy, very soft-spoken, doesn't look people in the eye, and is almost painful to watch. He is somewhat of a Caspar Milquetoast. But on the printed page.....I just love the guy. What a brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caspar_Milquetoast

Krugman is the inverse of, say, Jim Cramer, who is enormously entertaining to watch, but whose ideas have repeatedly proved demonstrably false and intellectually bankrupt from every perspective, over and over, for a solid decade.

Krugman personifies a (rare) triumph of substance and raw intellect over style in today's bizarro-world media hairball.

No comments: